When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 11 December 2014

Fed Ex gets a new truck, just in time for the Holidays!

Another Holiday season, and more gingerbread!
We had done the gingerbread men being tortured last year, or the year before, I can't remember fully!
This year we had to break out the gingerbread one more time.
Jody cooked up a fine specimen of gingerbread, I have no plans on using real gingerbread for this shoot. Plastic all the way for me! Plus, I'm not sure how well it would machine on our Techno!
Once we had our baked sheet of real gingerbread, Jody made a quick and dirty mold box for it.
She filled the bottom of the gingerbread sheet with clay, down to the bottom of the mold box, so we wouldn't have silicone creeping under the sheet. The silicone may be super thick, but it wicks in everywhere, including the smallest of holes!
And through the power of time-lapse, TAA-DAA! One fully cured, gingerbread rubber mold!
We made the sheet as big as we could, because we also have a house to build, as well as the truck.
 Once the table surface was re-levelled, Jody moved onto casting the sheets in resin.

At about 10 minutes per sheet curing, She had a pile ready for the Techno before my second coffee break. I drink a lot of coffee, so that would be around 9:30!
8)
JWO





No comments:

Post a Comment