When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 24 February 2015

On With The Parade!

Man, I have been bad at posting! I apologize! We have been tackling so many things, I run out of time at the end of the day to blog.



We got the PVC structure for the bridge clam shelled around the steel supports. I cut some small "steel" gussets from 1/8" pvc, and used some medium viscosity crazy glue to form the rivet heads.
I also welded on small angle brackets which will allow the rail ties to get screwed to the bridge from underneath.
While the sparks were flying, I had our Techno cut the slightly bowed rail ties from HDU. No cnc texture hear, we'll do it by hand with a dremmel after.
 I also had the cnc punch in the location holes for the track sections to key into. And the 2 starter holes for the 3" screws that will hold the ties to the heart structure. We have been very careful to make sure everything is as easy to assemble in Alberta as possible. We won't be doing any final assembly, and as much as I know the parts inside and out, the people on the other end will have never have seen them before.
Jody made pretty short work of the railway ties woodgrain texture. The cutter we are using, we custom made, making the woodgrain appear very quickly.
I think these look awesome. Once they get their paint treatment, they're gonna rock!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment