When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 25 November 2015

Getting close!

With the high-build primer sanded, it was time to cut the barrel for the rifle. I lucked out years ago, and had a ton of plastic rod and tube given to me! And I do mean a ton. The barrel worked out to be really close to 5/8" diameter, so I found some blue acrylic rod that was sooo close to the same diameter, it would've been crazy to use anything else. Plus it was even lighter than aluminum rod, and I already own it :)
I sprayed them up black, and wiped on the Rustoleum metallic accents blue-ish pewter color, then added some nicks and dings with the silver version of their paint.
The central chamber portion of the gun got real slotted brass screws, a silver spray coat, then I messily added some golden oak gel stain, wiping it off, but leaving it around all the details. The plate cover was cut from .060" styrene,


 With some stain on the wood, I buffed a paste wax onto it to give it a nice satin sheen!

I think it looks like the real deal, even though it won't be seen very much.
Tomorrow, I have to break out my shot lists, and make some barn doors for some LED light fixtures I picked up. Man hobbies can keep you swamped!
8)
JWO



No comments:

Post a Comment